After months of rumours, Google finally began to include audiobooks on Google Play. Unlike Amazon’s Audible, which has a monthly subscription fee of $ 14.95 that allows you to withdraw a title each month, Google offers individual titles for sale without any monthly commitment.
Google is also launching a 50% discount on its first audiobook purchase as a way to incentivise customers, with the promotion valid until February 26. The agreement makes it a tempting option if you’re just starting with audiobooks and are interested in seeing what’s in store. Let’s dive
How to download audiobooks from Google Play
- Open Play Store from the application drawer or home screen.
- Select the Books tab.
- Touch the Audiobooks category.
- You should see a banner with a 50% discount on your first audiobook. Touch to add the promotion to your cart.
- Browse the list of audiobooks or search for a particular title through the search icon in the upper right corner.
- Enter your query in the text field.
- You will see a list of results. Select your desired title to continue.
- In the list, you will see the duration of the audiobook and an option to listen to a sample before making your purchase. Touch Play sample to listen to an audiobook extract.
- If you decide to continue with the purchase, touch the blue Audiobook button.
- Google will complete the information on the card associated with your account, and you should also see your discount code applied automatically. Hit Buy audiobook to finalise the purchase.
- You’ll be asked to enter your password or your fingerprint to authenticate the purchase. Do it and press the Confirm button.
- You should see a payment confirmation dialogue box.
That’s! You can listen to your audiobook on Android, iOS, the web and on your Google Home just by saying “Ok Google, read my book”. If you listen on your phone, Play Books automatically downloads new purchases, allowing you to listen to the book offline.
The PlayBooks interface has options to go forward or backward 30secs, as well as settings to adjust the playback speed and set an automatic sleep timer. You also have options to stream audio to a Chromecast Audio device.
What audiobooks do you want to build? Let me know below in the comments.