Search engine optimization or SEO as it is commonly referred to, is the science and art of marketing and publishing information for good rankings in various search engines, including Microsoft Yahoo Search and Google.
Several search engines show a handful of results on each page by default. Many searchers usually click on the first few results. Ranking at the top of the results page of the search engine means that business is going well but being on the rest of the pages indicates that a business may only be getting as little as 1% of search traffic that top ranked websites get.
Although some people may regard SEO as complex, the reality is that SEO is essentially an extension of conventional marketing. There are a number of steps within search engine optimization: Researching the market.
- Researching keywords
- On page optimization
- Site structure
- Building links
- Building brands
- Viral marketing
- Staying updated
Competing in the Market
One of the main steps is to search major engines for the purpose of finding out the kinds of websites that are ranking for important words. For instance, if government institutions, media and colleges are ranking for your crucial terms, it can be challenging to rank for such queries. On the other hand, if the market comprises of relatively average sites that are not well established brands, this type of market may be worth pursuing. Find expert here in Miami SEO Company
Searching for Keywords
- Online keyword research tools can be used to search for long tail and popular keywords that are associated with your industry. A keyword tool can provide estimates for daily searches.
- These tools are ideal for qualitative measures rather than quantitative measures. It is therefore not surprising to discover that actual volumes of traffic may vary significantly from the numbers that are suggested by keyword research tools. If you seek clarity, setting up an account for Google AdWords is useful for testing the market size potential.
- Along with looking at search volumes to establish the keywords that are deemed important, it is also a good idea to ask customers the issues they considered when choosing you, why they opted for you and how they found you.
Keywords ideas can also be derived from things such as:
- Looking through community sites and topical forums to see the issues that people discuss frequently.
- Looking at competing websites and their page contents.
- Checking your server logs or web analytic.
Structuring your Site
Prior to creating content, it is important to think about the keywords that are most important and figure out how the pages will fit in every essential group of keywords in your navigational structure and site theme according to:
- Market value
- Logical market segmentation breaks
- Role of ranking in improving conversion rates or building credibility
Programs such as an Excel spreadsheet can be used to visualize the structure of the site. If there is uncertainty about how deep the portion of the site should be, creating some high quality pages for the topic is a good starting point. More pages can be created in the sections that are valuable to the business according to market feedback.
Ranking for keywords that are not visible in page content is hard. This is why it is necessary to organize each page around the objective of ranking for a certain keyword phrase along with a few related phrases and keywords incorporated within the page copy. Effective search engine optimization campaigns rely heavily on page titles that are unique and descriptive. The search results show page titles and many people use page titles as link anchor text.
Links are perceived as votes by search engines and some votes count more than others. Giving away unique valuable content that people discuss, sharing with others and participating socially in your community are essential for getting high quality links that will give your site better rankings.
More from SEO
Every online business today wants their website to gain digital prominence. And every online business and website owner wants to …