To keep the Facebook inbox tidy, you must delete some messages permanently. Perhaps the conversation includes sensitive information that you do not want to archive/store. Whatever the reason, in this post, we will guide you through the steps to permanently delete Facebook messages.
How to delete Facebook messages (permanently) on the Web.
Regardless of the browser you are in, the steps will apply to all web browsers available for Windows, Mac, and Linux. This is what you need to do:
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Once you are inside, look for the message icon in the upper right corner of the web page. See the photo below for a much better understanding.
- Click on the message icon to see all recent messages. At the bottom of the list, you will see an option “See everything in Messenger.” Now, click on it to find all the messages that are loaded in the same window (the messenger section).
- You will have to scroll down and search for the conversation or the message you want to delete. If you are going to delete a complete discussion, merely select the chat and click on the settings icon next to it to locate the “Delete” option as shown in the image below.
- In case you want to delete a particular message from the conversation, you must select the conversation and then click on the menu icon to delete the message.
How to delete Facebook messages in the Android application
To delete your messages on an Android device, you will not need the Facebook application. You need the Facebook Messenger application installed. Once you have installed the messenger, follow the steps below to delete Facebook messages permanently:
- Start the Facebook Messenger application.
- Press and hold any of the desired conversations to find the option to delete it. If you want to delete a particular message, go to the conversation and then press and hold the exact message you want to delete as shown in the image below.
How to delete Facebook messages on iPhone
Deleting a conversation or a message is the same as the one you used on your Android device. Simply touch and hold (avoid activating 3D Touch) to delete a conversation or a message. Here is a picture for reference:
Now that you know how to permanently delete your Facebook messages remember that you can not undo the procedure. If you deleted the conversation or the message, there is no way to recover it. Therefore, if you only need to keep a conversation hidden in your main inbox, I will recommend that you archive the conversation instead of deleting it.
Did you have problems trying to delete Facebook messages? Let us know in the comments below.